Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Do purge dive masks work well?

I loved my first purge mask. It was so easy to clear. But...I got so used to having no water in my mask that it made me fearful to even think about my mask flooding. So, I got a regular non-purge mask and now I feel more confident. I completely flooded my mask a year ago and I was just fine. One other thing...my husband said that he could always see me breathing out through my nose when I wore my purge mask. We figured that I would be in for quite a shock if the mask got knocked off of my head. So now my regular mask has forced me to not breathe out through my nose. Most divers do not like purge masks, but some do. Try both and see what makes you feel most comfortable.Do purge dive masks work well?
It probably depends on the individual mask and how well it's made. I haven't used one myself, but I once saw someone who had sealed up his purge valve with silicone caulk, so I guess it didn't work well for him. The flap may wear out over time, so if you get one you should try to find one where the purge valve is replaceable.Do purge dive masks work well?
Not worth the extra cost usually associated with them. They work, but you usually have to hold onto your mask when purging, so you're still bringing your hand up to your face. My first mask was a purge and I've not ever bought another because I just couldn't justify spending the extra for a function that was of no real value in the long run. You also have a new little nook and cranny that collect debris. The valve may not seal 100% if there's a wad of crap in it.
  • refinance
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment