Monday, December 21, 2009

Scuba mask problems... is my mask going to hold up?

I'm taking the scuba certification course at my college, and we are going to the beach to do our check-out dives next weekend. i just noticed that the lenses have tiny cracks along the edges, near the frame. 1- does anyone know what may have cause these cracks and 2- when i dive in deeper water, will my mask hold up to the pressure? the cracks look like stress fractures. i take good care of all my equipment and the mask is not a cheap walmart mask, it is an oceanic, ion 4 series. i didn't think that a (supposedly) high quality mask would do this after only being used in a 10ft deep swimming pool.Scuba mask problems... is my mask going to hold up?
Cracks in a new mask ought to have been noticed by yourself fairly quickly. You are diving now and your gear is always paramount.


Personally, I'd take it back to the shop you bought it from. You DID buy it from a dive shop and not online, right? Online and you may not have any recourse. This is one of the reasons buying some dive gear online can bite you in the **** and why I can't stand the practice. If you did the sensible thing and bought from a shop, ask if what you're seeing is normal for that mask. It may not be cracks, it may be something else. I can't see it, so I can't advise otherwise.


One thing I can say is that it won't matter the depth...but you knew that since you took the course. Think about it and you'll get it.If you don't, ask your Instructor to go over equalization again, then you will :)Scuba mask problems... is my mask going to hold up?
The cracks could have been there when you first received the mask, and they just increased by being under a little pressure. I'm pretty sure Oceanic has a warranty on that product--you might want to check it out. It would be their fault. No, don't dive with a mask that could potentially harm you. It could break under more pressure. If you don't have warranty on the mask, try renting one for your certification dive (or even if it does have warranty, you may need the mask before they can replace it). Be sure to take the mask back to your dealer after you research the warranty.

No comments:

Post a Comment