Monday, December 21, 2009

Scuba mask-off problems?

Today I did my first confined scuba dives. It was great, except when I took my mask off underwater. When breathing normally through my regulator, my nose keeps on blowing bubbles, whether I'm inhaling or exhaling. My instructor says he has never seen something like it. What is my problem?Scuba mask-off problems?
I don't think that there is actually physically anything wrong with you. It might just be a delay from your previous exhalation from the air in your sinus cavities. In scuba you are taught to inhale deeper and exhale a little more than normal. As long as there is no pain in the sinus area as you descend there shouldn't be a problem.


You may notice this by breathing in through your mouth and exhaling through your nose and mouth at the same time. The time it takes for the air to be exhaled through the mouth is shorter than the length of time to exhale through your nose.


As long as you aren't having water going up the nose you are probably the envy of those who have mask clearing problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment