Monday, December 21, 2009

Which is best on a swimming/scuba mask; a rubber or vinyl seal/skirt?

I'm looking to buy a scuba mask for my upcoming holiday, I've found one that's pretty good but I have the choice of a rubber or vinyl seal/skirt.





What's the difference?Which is best on a swimming/scuba mask; a rubber or vinyl seal/skirt?
Are you sure that one of those options isn't silicone? That's usually what a good mask's skirt is made of. Rubber and vinyl both break down under sun exposure fairly quickly as compared to silicone. Rubber or vinyl also eventually crack in that process. Silicone just discolours.


If those two choices were the only two available, I'd opt for the rubber ( I've never heard of vinyl being used) since it would be more flexible and offer a better fit.Which is best on a swimming/scuba mask; a rubber or vinyl seal/skirt?
Before you order, visit some shops locally and try that same model mask on. It won't matter what material the skirt is made of if it doesn't fit properly. Report Abuse

Can you buy one when you get to your destination? I prefer to try one on to make sure I can get a good seal ( put it on without the strap and inhale thru nose, if it stays on the seal is good) I'm not sure of the different seals you mentioned, if buying on line get one asap so you can return it if it doesn't fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment