Saturday, December 12, 2009

I am planning to use paper mache on my cardboard mask and I don't want the sides to curl up?

I have to make a mask for English class and my mask is almost completely flat except for the nose part that sticks out. Everything is made out of cardboard (the kind that is used in shoe boxes). The thing is, I heard that using paper mache on flat surfaces can make the surface curl up and I do not want that. How can I prevent that from happening? My project is due Wednesday morning btw, and I haven't even started putting on the paper mache yet! (I don't have any liquid glue at home)I am planning to use paper mache on my cardboard mask and I don't want the sides to curl up?
Seal the mask by taping on plastic wrap on before using paper mache or the moisture from the glue or paste will make the cardboard curl.





Rather than dipping the paper strips into your paste - dip your fingers in the paste and then wipe it on the strips. This way you will get only the amount of paste you need and it will aid drying.





Only put on one or two layers at a time as many layers will take much longer to dry.





If you plan to force dry the item in a fan just keep an eye on it (every couple of hours or so) and weight it only if necessary.





Have fun and good luck!I am planning to use paper mache on my cardboard mask and I don't want the sides to curl up?
Also, you might want to check out all the lessons and tips on making masks (from papier mache and similar materials, over forms of various kinds) on this page:


http://glassattic.com/polymer/heads_mask鈼?/a>


...click on *Masks*


They should give you various ways of doing the papier mache or paperclay, etc., so that there won't be curling, making your own forms, as well as other tips and ideas you might need.





HTH,





Diane B.
best bet would be to weigh it down. Try a layer of wax paper on top once you're done with the mache and then weigh it down with some phone books.








PS....don't leave it too long, sometimes paper mache can take a long time to dry!

No comments:

Post a Comment